Sunday, November 11, 2012

November BUG Match

This month our ARPC IDPA club match was a BUG match.   BUG = Back-Up Gun.  But BUG usually just means "your small carry gun."  The IDPA rule book allows for clubs to do local BUG matches.  To qualify for the BUG match the shooter's gun must be .32 auto or larger and have a barrel length of 3.8 inches or less for semi-autos and 3 inches or less for revolvers.  And the shooter can only load 5 rounds into his magazine or cylinder.

BUG gun matches are usually much less complicated than normal IDPA matches.  There's very little reloading required.  I didn't reload once at the match yesterday.  The targets are usually all 10 yards or closer because they try to simulate more realistic CCW scenarios.  Here are Saturday's 8 stages.

Our BUG match yesterday had 8 stages with a minimum round count of 45.  The stages were simple but challenging and fun.  I'm used to drawing and firing my full-sized M&P Pro in normal matches, so every time I drew my Kahr PM9 yesterday I thought, "Where's the rest of my gun?"  Even though my Kahr magazines have a little extension base pad, it's still hard to get both my hands around that little frame on the draw.

I carry that Kahr PM9 about 75% of the time.  The other 25% I'm concealing my 45. cal Kimber Tactical Ultra II, but that's usually in the winter when I have more clothes on.  The Kahr is easier to conceal in the Spring and Summer.  So putting my Kahr through the paces on 8 stages was instructive.  It's performed flawlessly. Not one problem at all.  So far this little pistol has been perfectly reliable.  The trigger pull is very smooth.  I shot pretty well with it.  Of course, the trigger is as not as light as my M&P (with the Apex Competition trigger upgrade), but it's still very easy to shoot accurately.

Everyone that carries regularly should try to shoot one of these BUG matches every year.  You learn just how accurate you are (or aren't) with a tiny gun.  Practicing drawing these little pistols can help increase your speed.  You'll also get a good idea about how reliable your carry gun actually is.  There were a number of guys who had problems after just a few stages and had to switch guns.  I was a bit concerned about using the ammo that I make for normal matches (for my M&P).  But I had no problems whatsoever.  My little Kahr functioned flawlessly.  I now have a great deal of confidence in that gun and in my ability to shoot it quick and accurately.

No comments:

Post a Comment